Friday, May 7, 2010

Readymade Indian - Baghara Baingan by Deep

I have never had a homemade version of this dish.

However, this product seems to be well made. I used the oven warming instructions. It warmed evenly. It has a full, flavorful taste. It is not hot spicy immediately, it kind of builds. If you eat mildly spicy, like I do, the hotness will build on you. Else, if you eat hot and spicy, this may be mild. I ate one helping (there are about 1.5 helpings) of this with rice, then a second helping of rice with plain yogurt.

I really like how it has small eggplant pieces in the gravy. I prefer the pieces to the pureed eggplant. I know the pureed one is called Bhaighan Bharatha. Does Baghara mean whole pieces of Baingan (eggplant)?

Price is 4.79$ at our local India Market. Seems a bit high, but the taste is quite nice for a ready made convenience food, I can justify the price. I rarely make eggplant dishes at home because hubby doesn't like eggplant, so to make for one person, and the time involved, I will buy this readymade version again sometime.

Anyone else tried this or any other brand of this? What did you think? Any comparisons to homemade versions?

Thanks for reading!

No comments: