1/2 cup toor dhal
1/2 cup mansoor dhal
1/4 cup diced red onions or shallots
3/4-1 cup diced orange bell pepper (capsicum) with seeds
1 tbspn dried fenugreek (kasoori/ qasuri methi) leaves
3 tsp Shan Dal Curry Spice Mix
salt to taste
1. Rinse dhals in the same pan. Fill with twice as much water.
2. Boil on medium heat.
3. While this is going on, put the 1/2 cup diced onions or shallots in the pot and stir it.
4. Place the 1/4 cup diced orange bell pepper (and it's seeds) in a blender along with the Asafetida and dhal curry spice mix. Blend with 1/8 cup water or less (just enough to juice it). When it is pureed, add this to the dhal boiling on medium heat.
5. After 10 minutes taste for spice and add more dhal curry mix as per your liking. Add salt as per taste and the dried fenugreek leaves.
6. Boil until all dhals are soft and almost mashable.
Eat with roti, naan, chappati, rice or alone as soup.
** It is the pureed bell pepper (with it's seeds) that gives the kick!
Wednesday, April 9, 2008